Monday, January 31, 2011

I just Can't Let go

When I was growing up, my parents always made sure we took family trips.  Do you remember the good ol' days of family trips?  We usually went to the beach or to the mountains.  I have to say that my favorite trips were always to the beach - Maybe that's why I enjoyed living in Hawaii so much.  There was always something compelling about the sun, sand, surf and smells of the air at the beach.  I remember on one particular trip, we went crabbing.  We went out on the pier and would put the appropriate bait on a string and lower it in the ocean.  We would wait a few minutes and then slowly pull the line up out of the water.  If we pulled it at just the right pace, there would be a crab holding onto the bait with his claw.  We would pull him out of the water and drop him into a bucket and he would eventually become dinner.  The taste of crab meat was okay, but I really enjoyed catching the crabs.  I was fascinated that these crabs would hold onto the bait until they were caught and then it was too late.  All the crab had to do to get away was to let go of the bait.  I was just amazed that they would not let go.

Isn't it amazing how we can be just like those crabs.  I Peter 5:8 tells us:  "Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith."  When we lack self-control, we end up being like a crab that has been hooked by Satan.  We are holding on to something that will be destructive to us, to our family or to our testimony.  We slowly get pulled out of safety and still refuse to let go.  We see the trap of the consequences of continuing to hold on, yet still we won't let go.  



The ability to overcome these sins and struggles is to admit our weakness.  Until we own up to the fact that the pressure is greater than our will power, we will continue to fail.  In each of our lives, we have secret struggles that can be defeating us over and over again.  There is never victory in these areas until we admit our sin and our inability to change.  That opens the door for us to allow the Holy Spirit to strengthen us.  I have found, the Holy Spirit usually utilizes other Godly people in my life to help build accountability and prayer support to experience success and victory.  Then I am able to develop the Spirit-given self-control to see Satan plans and let go of the sin.

Are you ready to let go yet?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Pastor Ted.

    What an awesome analogy. It hits home.

    So often, we (I) hold on to what is wrong, knowing it is wrong, waiting to let go, but for some reason we (I) don't let go. The deeper we (I) get into that sin the harder it is to let go. The drop is farther.

    We (I) need to not be afraid to repent. God is there to catch us (me). It might hurt for a bit, but it is better than hurting for life.

    Besides, you just become more crabby the longer you hold on (Sorry, couldn't resist).

    Pray to let go of something right now and enjoy the nice refreshing eternal water of God's love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good words, my Ted!

    good comment, Bob...why don't you ever post on my blog, huh? huh? :o)

    ReplyDelete