Sunday, July 31, 2011

An example for us to follow

This past week, we had a wonderful Vacation Bible School.  Our highest attendance of children was 37 and those kids learned how to put their faith into action.  Of the kids in grades 3-6, all but two of them had made commitments to Christ in their lives and those two have heard the Gospel numerous times at Hillcrest.  We had around 35 workers every single night serving, teaching, assisting, loving and being involved in the lives of the children.  Our summer missionaries were surprised to see how many adults were involved in our VBS because most churches struggle to have enough workers.


Without trying to offend anyone, I would like to make mention of one worker who is one of the many examples of service at our VBS.  The Hurst's daughter, Cindy, is visiting from Texas.  She is here to see her parents and went up to visit her grandmother in Oregon.  However, each night she was in town, she worked at the registration table.  She spent the evening at VBS serving wherever she was needed.  Cindy grew up in Hillcrest, gave her life to Christ and was baptized here, so it's not like she is a stranger.  However, she was here on vacation.  If I were on vacation and my home church was having VBS while I was there, I doubt I would go an help.  I would be too busy with others things to help.  Yet, here was Cindy setting an example for me.  She could have done a multitude of things while in the Bay Area, but she chose to minister to children and adults.  Of course, we could say the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree because Ken & Doris are such incredible servants.  Do you remember Sunday morning how many people raised their hands when I asked if they, their children or grandchildren had received a note from Doris Hurst?  It seemed like everyone who has every been to Hillcrest more than once has received a letter or card from her.  She even sends the most wonderful and affirming notes to my Mom who lives in North Carolina.  Yet, Cindy didn't have to come to church and help out at VBS.  She didn't do it because of her parents' reputation.  She did it because she loves Jesus.  



A lot of wonderful things happened at our VBS.  But I wanted to stop and focus on this wonderful example.  Cindy has encouraged me in such a deep way because of the passionate love she has for our Savior and our church.  With examples like that, how can I shortchange Jesus or Hillcrest?  Aren't you glad God has given us such wonderful examples?  I also want to thank you for being an example and encouragement to me.  As we look towards the Fall and opportunities to minister, let's continue to reach out and touch our community with Jesus' love!  My this Sip refresh you so that you might refresh others.


No comments:

Post a Comment