Monday, September 12, 2011

Where were you?

Most of us remember where we were when the news first came about planes crashing into the World Trade Center ten years ago.  Much like the generation of World War II can tell you where they were when they heard about Pearl Harbor, this was an event that stopped business as usual.  If you have flown on airplanes since 9/11, you know that things have dramatically changed.  So where were you?  It was a Tuesday, which is my day off, so I was still asleep.  We had just moved to California from Hawaii and were living with Leah's sister in Walnut Creek.  Leah's brother-in-law came in the room and started telling us that the Trade Towers had been hit by a plane.  Since they didn't have television, we turned on the radio to listen.  We sat in stunned silence as we heard the reports.  Later that day, we went to a nearby hotel and watched the news to see this horrific event.  I can still remember where I was sitting at the Embassy Suites lobby when I saw the first replay.  It was almost surreal to see the plane slam into the building.   I have been to the top of the Trade Towers on several occasions and was broken-hearted to see those trapped at the top who were waving for help or jumping to get away from the flames.  Like you, I watched as the police and fire department ran into these buildings to save as many people as they could.   It has been a while since I allowed myself to reflect on that day because the carnage was so beyond belief.



In the ten years since 9/11, I am amazed at how our country has grown apart rather than pulling together.   The first few months after 9/11, there was a sense of unity and a desire to help each other, but the divisiveness and disunity in our country is growing daily.  It seems like everyone is just looking out for himself and his interests.  I am still amazed at the level of hatred that would drive someone to kill so many people.  How do you reach a point of anger and violence that would allow you to justify murdering so many unsuspecting and innocent people?  I am still amazed at how many people hate America and Americans.  I remember vividly the pictures of countries whose residents were dancing in the streets and celebrating this incredible loss of life.  I have been reminded of how blessed I am to live in America - An imperfect country but a country of diversity and freedom.  We are much more secure than most other countries of the world.  On 9/11 we had a glimpse into what Jews in Israel face every day simply because they profess a different religion from the surrounding countries.  Jews live daily with the knowledge they could die in a suicide bomb attack, have their country attacked by several countries or be kidnapped or beaten because they are Jewish.  In America, most of us are still clueless about the freedom we have to worship, work and live.  Though we have lost some of our freedoms since 9/11, we still have more freedom and choices than most other countries.



This morning, I reflected on how brief life can be.  One of our members' sons passed away on Saturday at the age of 44.  Life really is fleeting and the question that has rattled around my brain is this:  "How will I be remembered?".  If I were to die in a terror attack today, have I done anything which will last for eternity?  Have I seen people come to saving faith in Christ through my words and life?  Will my sons have a legacy to follow that is meaningful and significant?  Will those to whom I have ministered know what it means to follow Jesus because of how I lived my life?  Will I leave a legacy of faith and fortitude?  Will eternity be affected because I was alive?  Those are some rather pointed questions which we would all benefit from asking about our lives.  May this Sip from the Well lead you to make an eternal difference somewhere today!


No comments:

Post a Comment