Monday, October 31, 2011

Some things weren't meant to be fixed

On October 21rst, after flying to North Carolina, I drove from Greensboro to King.  The purpose of my visit was to officiate the wedding ceremony of Grayson Denny and Melissa Culler.  Grayson is the son of a close friend and I was shocked and honored when ask to take part in the wedding.    I got to King in the afternoon and spent some time with the family before the wedding.  At 5:00, everyone needed to hit the showers before the wedding rehearsal.  There was just one problem - No water.  The Dennys have a well, so Dwight(Grayson's Dad and my friend) cleaned the filter, figuring that would solve the problem.  But it didn't.  We did all we could and then left for the rehearsal.  Not having water is a difficulty, but this was beyond a difficulty because on the 22nd, the wedding reception was to be held at the Denny home.  They had a tent set up in the yard and were expecting about 150 guests.  Having no water would definitely cause problems.  What would you do in that situation?

Well, Dwight called a plumber who came and pulled his three hundred foot water line out of the well.  Unfortunately, the pump had chosen this day to die and had to be replaced.  So while everyone in the wedding party was having pictures made, Dwight's Dad and I drove 30 minutes to get the new pump.  While we were at the wedding, the plumber replaced the pump and it worked fine.  We came to the house after the wedding and had running water waiting on us.  Grayson and Melissa will always remember their wedding for a multitude of reasons, one of them being the water pump disaster.  We had to shower the morning of the wedding at someone else's home and pray that the water would be fixed.  Since I only had to perform the wedding, it wasn't a big deal for me.  Had I been in the wedding, the parents of the groom or the groom himself, this would have been a very big deal.

I don't know if Murphy has a law about this, but it seems like every time we have a major event, there is a major problem which arises.  At the time, it causes us stress, but afterwards it makes the event even more memorable.  It is much easier to laugh at it in hindsight than it is when the pressure is raging.  It's also important to note that most people involved are not aware of the difficulty or as involved as we usually are.  So it becomes easier for us to stress.

This made me think about how I handle obstacles in my life.  My main path is to work the problem and fix whatever is broken.  Yet there are times when those things aren't meant to be fixed.  God has a purpose and a reason for them being broken and He wants us to trust Him.  He wants us to put Romans 8:28 into practice or James 1:2-5 into action.  He would rather us pray about this obstacle than just in and attempt to fix it.  We may find that what we call "broken", God sees as perfect for God views these things with the eyes of eternity.  I wonder if I can do a better job of seeing life from God's perspective?  I wonder if I can step back from my agenda, my schedule and my pace to see God's agenda, schedule and pace?  I wonder if I can have enough faith in God to laugh in the midst of a trial rather that stressing and not being able to laugh until later?  How about you?  It's going to take a change in how we think and how we view life.  I'm willing to give it a try....will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment