Monday, September 17, 2012

Not Really A Waste of Time

This morning as I was reading "On Mission" magazine, I read something that touched my heart so deeply I began to weep.  I wept at hearing how faithfulness to God's calling will eventually reap an eternal harvest.  Allan and Helen Christopherson went to a drive-in movie in 1967 to see a movie, "The Restless Ones".  This movie was from the Billy Graham Association and at the end of the movie, a middle aged man in a suit stood up to invite people to come forward and give their lives to Jesus.  Though no one came forward, Allan gave his life to Jesus in his car.  Allan found a church, got involved, saw his two sons give their lives to Jesus and then follow God's leading to plant churches in Toronto and Chile.  Allan also helped to plant churches in Canada.  Thirty-five years later, Allan went to a leadership team meeting to host a Franklin Graham Crusade in Saskatoon.  The leaders asked if anyone would like to share how a Billy Graham Crusade had affected their lives.  Allan felt God leading him to share his story and he did.  After he finished, an elderly man slowly made his way towards Allan with tears streaming down his cheeks.  He introduced himself and said that he and some friends felt God leading them to bring the movie, "The Restless Ones" to Prince Albert and so they faithfully showed the movie over several weeks, giving an invitation to receive Jesus.  No one every came forward and each night he would go home disappointed.  He wondered if he had heard God and if God cared about that project.  He felt like it had been a waste of time.  But how he saw God's plan and how God's hand had guided him thirty-five years earlier.  The two men embraced and celebrated the faithfulness of God and the power of obedience to His leading.



This brings me to a confession:  For the past eleven years, Hillcrest Baptist Church has maintained a booth at the El Sobrante Stroll.  Each year, I excitedly see our members sharing the love of Jesus and inviting people to church and Christ.  Each year I get my hopes up of seeing an influx of people hungry for the love of Jesus they saw on display at our booth.  This year is no exception because I saw our members connecting with our community.  I saw children smile as they played the games and made the craft.  I saw parents' faces beam as they watched their children enjoying themselves, relieved that someone had something available for free rather than for a fee.  I watched as members of our congregation got outside their comfort zone to initiate meaningful conversations and touch people at their deepest level.  I saw the kids of our church serving at the booth and showing the joy of being a servant of Jesus.  I saw members sacrificing their Sundays to be in the community as a beacon of hope.  And I anticipate what will happen on Sunday because of this faithful witness.  Now comes my confession:  Most years, we rarely see many people, if any, come to our church because of our witness.  Even this morning (Monday), I had a little argument with God, reminding Him that we had done our part in reaching out to the community.  I reminded Him that He needed to do His part by bringing those people into the Kingdom and the church.  I asked Him why we keep setting up a booth and reaching out when it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I want to see people come to Christ and I desperately want to see Hillcrest grow/have an impact on eternity.  I want to know that our efforts weren't in vain.  The reality of my conversation with God may have been a "what have you done for me lately" conversation.  I'm probably not the only one who has had that conversation with God lately because we have these expectations of God.  It's kind of a foolish conversation considering He already paid a huge price(His only son) so I could have eternal life, but we periodically lose focus on that fact.  I guess I just felt like the work we do at the Stroll is a waste of time.



Then I read this article and asked God to forgive me for my short-sighted vision.  We never know the impact of one deed done in the name of Christ.  We will never know the results of our faithfulness on this side of Heaven.  We will never know how God was able to utilize that smile we gave to a family who was hurting or the way our infectious joy made someone more inquisitive about Christ.  The simplest deed done in the name of Christ has the power to change lives.  May we never forget that.  May we never forget how Stephens' faith affected Saul as he watched Stephen martyrdom.  May we never forget the impact of one man's willingness to show an evangelistic movie has had on our world.  You are making a difference by serving Christ in all that you do.  Thank you for simply living for Jesus today.  Thank you for the countless time you have tried to live out Jesus among friends who don't seem to care or want to hear about your Jesus.  Thank you for being faithful in the little things.  When we reach eternity, then and only then, will we know the impact of that Hillcrest booth set up annually at the El Sobrante Stroll.  Then and only then, will you see the incredible fruit your life has born!  May this Sip refresh you to keep on living and sharing Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment