Monday, July 29, 2013

Something You Can't Fake

"Now if you're feelin' kinda low 'bout the dues you've been paying  Future's coming much too slow
And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin'.  Can't decide on which way to go
I understand about indecision but I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition.  All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Now you're climbin' to the top of the company ladder, hope it doesn't take too long
Can't you see there'll come a day when it won't matter . Come a day when you'll be gone
I understand about indecision but I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition.  All I want is to have my peace of mind.


Now everybody's got advice they just keep on givin' .  Doesn't mean too much to me
Lot's of people out to make-believe they're livin' .  Can't decide who they should be.
I understand about indecision but I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition.  All I want is to have my peace of mind."

 File:BostonBoston.jpg

These old school words were written by Donal Scholz and performed by the group Boston on their first album released in August of 1976.  The album climbed to #3 on the charts and is the second highest selling debut album all time.  Over 20 million copies of this album have been sold.  Boston's music was something new and took my generation by storm. However, this one song has always been my favorite.  It reminds me of what most people are looking for in their lives.

There are some things in life that just can't be faked:  Peace of mind is one of those.  Peace of mind comes, not from our circumstances, but from our faith.  If peace of mind is based on circumstances, then it comes and goes.  It ebbs and flows like the tides of the ocean.  Peace of mind is also fleeting if the object of our faith is not trustworthy.  If the object of our faith is ourselves, then peace of mind only comes when we are "successful".  If a god shaped in our own image is the object of our faith, then we will struggle to face the truth of life.  I have seen many people who claim to be followers of Christ, but are following a man-shaped God in their lives.  They have sin in their lives and rather than repent, they seek to justify their sin so they can continue to do that which they want to do.  They work so hard to convince others that what they are doing is fine and normal, but they are really only trying to convince themselves.  In the words of Hamlet, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."  I know how that looks because I do the same thing.  So we profess to be at peace and that our choice is "all good", but deep inside we are burdened.  We struggle to come to grips with the honest admission that God's way really is best and right.  We can fake peace of mind for a little while, but eventually it boils out in other places.  We rant about those bad drivers, or those bigots or those inconsiderate co-workers, when we are really just releasing the pressure from our own sin and pain.

Jesus told us in John 14:25-27, " All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

 

Notice, peace of mind is really a gift from Jesus through the Holy Spirit. As we honestly follow Jesus, He will give us peace.  The world can't give it to us.  We can't try to reshape what God said to fit our sinful lifestyle and think we will have peace.  We have to come clean, admit to God He is right and then enjoy the cleansing He brings.  The peace of mind He gives far surpasses any peace we can find in a bottle, friend, lover, joint or TV program.  The peace He gives is lasting.  He loves out honesty and that honesty can change our lives, once we stop trying to justify our sin.  Taking that step to admit we are wrong is the hardest step of all.  It means we will have to make some changes.  It means we will need to have the Body of Christ draw along side us as we attempt to go in God's direction.  It means we will have admit to others who are a part of that choice that we have been wrong and won't go there again.  It is painful, but that pain will bring healing.

Why am I writing about peace of mind in today's Sip?  Well, in the past nine days, Hillcrest has been in contact with over 220 people who are not churched.  We have contacted even more as we stopped by their homes to invite them to the Hillcrest Community Fair and Vacation Bible School.  We have had the opportunity to intersect with people who are searching for peace of mind.  The peace that can only be received as a gift from Jesus.  This peace is what our world is hungry for and searching to find.  If we, as followers of Christ, have this peace, those apart from Christ will be drawn to Him.  We can't fake peace of mind.  Either we have it or we don't.  If you don't have peace of mind which comes from Christ, would you spend time in honest confession and repentance.  I find that most of the time, I already know what is keeping me from Christ.  I just need to own up to it and take responsibility.  If you have that peace, look for opportunities to share the source of your peace.  




Things haven't changed much since 1976.  Just like Boston sang, all people want is to have their peace of mind.  Share the peace of Christ with a restless and hurting world!

No comments:

Post a Comment