Monday, July 1, 2013

Traffic Jam

This morning (Monday, July 1rst) the employees of BART went on strike.  BART is responsible for the subway lines that over 370,000 people ride daily.  To those of you who don't live in this area, it's a news story that makes you appreciate your traffic situation.  To those of us who live here, it really is Carmageddon!  If I go look at the freeway from the church perched high above I-80, I can see what appears to be a slow moving parking lot.  My sister-in-law and her family are supposed to be at the airport this morning to fly to Hawaii for a vacation.  I wonder if they will actually make it on time.  I just grabbed a peak at the traffic and even the carpool lane is barely moving.  I don't really know the details of the strike, I just know that there are some pretty upset commuters.  I'm glad that I live close to the church and can use back roads to get here rather than getting on the freeway.  I do know that talks broke off this morning, so we might be in for a long strike.

http://pohdiaries.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/bart_train.jpg

I know what some of you are already thinking, "That's what you get for living in California, the land of fruits and nuts."  No doubt, this place can be a little whacked out.  However, what I first thought of was Matthew 7:13-14 where Jesus says, "Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."  Jesus reminds us that living for Him is like going in the East on I-80 this morning.  But not traveling on the other side of the freeway, but going East on the West bound side, going against the flow.  All of the traffic is headed in one direction and you are one of the few going the opposite way.  Everyone will get mad at you for choosing to drive this way.  They will push, cajole and threaten to make sure you turn around and head in their direction.

http://www.bayalien.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/alameda17.jpg

Our culture is headed towards immorality and the pace continues to pick up.  The Supreme Court did a masterful job this past week of confirming America's careen towards immorality.  As a culture, we have affirmed more and more perversions and sin until there really is no way to shock us anymore.  We have made divorce as easy and common as buying soda from Wal-Mart.  We have killed over 55 million children since 1973 through abortion.  We have given cohabitation the same merit level as marriage, even making it more economical.  The list could continue, but you get the point.  The culture in America is in a headlong rush to immorality and destruction.


Enter the follower of Christ, who chooses to live in a way which honors God.  These folks are in a huge minority today.  Being a Biblical follower of Christ who chooses to live a righteous life now makes one a rebel...an outcast...a trouble maker and someone who is hated and mocked.  I remember being a young follower of Christ in the Bible Belt during the 70's. I prayed that God would allow me the chance to live in a place where following Jesus would mean being different from the majority and allow me to be a rebel.  I didn't know God would answer my prayer so quickly and I would never have to leave the country of my birth.  But the time is now.  So buckle up and be prepared for a bumpy ride.  Our culture today is a traffic jam headed towards, sin, immorality, destruction and death.  You are called to be radical and go against the flow.  So enjoy the opportunities you have today to be empowered by the Holy Spirit to be a light in a dark world which may actually hate the light, but secretly crave that light.  Follow the words and life of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment